Rap Worlds Forums

Rap Worlds Forums (http://www.rapworlds.com/forums/index.php)
-   Jay Z (http://www.rapworlds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Is Jay Z The Best Rapper Alive (http://www.rapworlds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54025)

micvickXL 10-25-2005 05:26 PM

Is Jay Z The Best Rapper Alive

In my opinion Jay is the best rapper alive. His wordplay is bananas, his freestyles, no one can fuck wit he's got the total package that u want in an MC

T.Bone 10-25-2005 06:22 PM

Re: Is Jay Z The Best Rapper Alive

yup...maybe not lyrically specificly, like people can make better multis etc. but just overall he is in my opinion with his style and everything, the greatest rapper alive

Strat! 10-25-2005 06:48 PM

I'd rather put it on Nas.

Shadow 10-25-2005 07:03 PM

I'd rather put it on NO ONE. How the fuck can you call someone the greatest rapper alive? We've haven't listened to all there is to hear.... This is an opinion.... I've heard better than Jay-Z.....

Strat! 10-26-2005 05:53 AM

Yes, But how can people we havn't heard be tha best rappers alive when they havn't got a name for themselves...promotin yaself falls under tha "best rapper" too....Could have tha illest rapper underground but hardly anyone hearda him...doesnt make him tha best because he doesnt have tha skill as a rapper to promote himself.

Paul Robinson 10-26-2005 07:58 AM

Quote:

I'd rather put it on Nas.
second that.

Tha_duck1 10-26-2005 08:19 AM

Yeh Nas Is Betta.......an Nas Fucked With Jays Freestyle"!

prankster198 10-27-2005 03:58 PM

lol................no

-Inphinite- 10-27-2005 07:03 PM

In order to be classed as the best rapper, you will have to have had mainstream/popular success. In that sense, I think JayZ is the best rapper alive, overall. But there are countless emcees who maybe better than JayZ but I don't think they can be given the title because of a lack of success.

H_O_V 10-29-2005 03:51 PM

^props. Overall he is, he aint the best in any one skill, but overall as an artist he is. Nice flow, freestyle, wordplay, and is blessed with great production.

Hensch 10-31-2005 08:34 PM

Nas is better (opinion)

also Jadakiss.

T.Bone 11-01-2005 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_O_V
^props. Overall he is, he aint the best in any one skill, but overall as an artist he is. Nice flow, freestyle, wordplay, and is blessed with great production.

word daz basically what i said (and what i meant)

Saint Gyroz 11-02-2005 07:23 PM

No, Nas is personally the best. Yet Jay-Z is very succesful and isn't bad at all.

[ST]

Chri$ 11-04-2005 08:05 PM

50 cent is better than jay-z .... hahahaha:eek:

H_O_V 11-05-2005 06:50 PM

LOl, but on the real Nas is a way better lyricist, and has better flow on certain songs, but he is very incosistent, Jay comes out with bangers constantly, while Nas comes and goes.

Donmega 11-07-2005 10:16 AM

i'd put it on GZA

Acid 11-07-2005 11:23 AM

HELLL NOOOOO IS THE BEST RAPPER ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i fuckin hate jay z, ill put gay z where ja rule, nelly, chingy, cassidy and all that come into.... gay z sucks dick.

Donmega 11-07-2005 11:28 AM

Reasons why GZA is the GOAT
- cause "words from the genius is better than every rakim album
- cause grandmasters is a classic
- cause rza said he is
- cause he never spoke a weak word
- cause he is the genius
- he also has a better flow than Ghostface

HoBGoBLiN 11-07-2005 12:19 PM

The votes are pretty damning. Jay-Z is not the best rapper alive

Donmega 11-07-2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FNominon
The votes are pretty damning. Jay-Z is not the best rapper alive

and i forgot to vote

SpiT-ShinE 11-08-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mc Ice
Reasons why GZA is the GOAT
- cause "words from the genius is better than every rakim album
- cause grandmasters is a classic
- cause rza said he is
- cause he never spoke a weak word
- cause he is the genius
- he also has a better flow than Ghostface

true dat.....his only not-so-strong point is his voice...and jay aint the best rapper alive ....

H_O_V 11-12-2005 05:53 PM

Im happy at least no one here said eminem.

Donmega 11-12-2005 07:28 PM

that's coz most of those who posted in this topics are black

Gokill Urselv 11-14-2005 04:39 PM

Quote:

i'd put it on GZA

It's about Time Sombody mentioned GZA. His Imagry Is just out the roof. Lyrically He is better then both nas and Jay-z. And that Smooth flow he has is just Amazing. Know I know GZA hasn't had as much commercial sucess as Jay-Z, But that is one reson why I give Him So Much credit. Being Able to be in the game Longer then Jay-Z, And Still Being Able to Spit To His Full Potential He had back in the Early 90's and never selling out for the money.

Han Solo 11-14-2005 11:46 PM

^i second that.

But i'm not buying the shit about GZA being better than Rakim. Your are talking about two people who are masters at battling, punchlines, wordplay, and imagery. sometimes so suddle people don't catch on to it, i've been saying it for years:

...this is when wutang first showed, Gza has a verse that to ME rivals, unforgetable verses like Kane's on Marley Marl's Symphony and Redmans on Full cooperation..

"first of..who's ya' A&R?
a mountain climber, who plays..and electric guitar?
but he don't know the meaning of dope
when he's looking for a "suit and tie" rap,
that's cleaner than a bar of soap
and i'm the dirtiest thing in sight, matter fact
bring out the girls, and lets have a mud fight"

GZA is better than Nas, and Nas is handsdown one of the greatest.
Both are better than Jay, Jay was nice during Reasonable Doubt...
still, then you couldn't compare it to shit from Nas and Gza. Jay knows how to sell records, that's all...50 is doing the exact same shit and people fall for it! Does that also make 50 one of the best rappers of all time?! becuz he can entertain you! They're all crowd pleasers...those that wanna hear an artist with uniqueness and display lyricism that is vast and intelligible in writing will listen to GZA, Nas, or Rakim, and respect it. Those who don't care about extensive lyric ability but can enjoy a simple song that don't require much thought or imagination listen to 50 and Jay.

And if you think Gza is still better than Rakim, listen joints like "know the ledge", "follow the leader", and "Let the rhythm hit'em". He is and originator of sudle disses, sharply clever lines, and concept writing, before you heard some of Gza joints.

"so whenever you see me, come up freeze/
............or you'll be one of those seven emcees/"

The FranchiZe 11-15-2005 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Witherspoon
^i second that.

But i'm not buying the shit about GZA being better than Rakim.
And if you think Gza is still better than Rakim, listen joints like "know the ledge", "follow the leader", and "Let the rhythm hit'em". He is and originator of sudle disses, sharply clever lines, and concept writing...

^...Topic ended...

C-MOB 11-15-2005 10:14 PM

Greatest rapper alive.... TECH N9NE.

.... fuck what you heard.

don't sleep.

Presence 11-16-2005 09:45 AM

in the past it was Canibus.....
in the future it will be Royce Da 5'9....

jay-z is crap.........

H_O_V 11-16-2005 06:21 PM

Why do people act like Jay Z dont spit lyrical shit, or got some tight punchlines. Plus Reasonable Doubt wasnt even his best cd, blueprint was better. Listen to Diamonds Are Forever on Blueprint 2, Or the Watcher. Or on Blueprint listen to the lyricism on girls,girls,girls. Dynasty, Cant be Life, 1900 Hustle. Shit the Black Album was far from commercial, and he still sold shit. Listen to What More Can I Say,Moment of Clarity,99 Problems, December the 4th, the ***** gets raw. People just be hatin on him for no dam reason and making stupid fuckin comments about him after listenen to 2 of his tracks. Dont call a ***** commercial because he dont spit about serious,sad, shit all the time. He is an entertainer. He is the best alive, he can do it all, and got street cred. Hes done more for rap in the past 5 years than anyone in the game. Plus he done created a dynasty, and openin the door for future mc's. What other rapper has done that, you tell me.

The FranchiZe 11-18-2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Hes done more for rap in the past 5 years than anyone in the game.

I think Jay-Z should be respected and I do think he's really good... Maybe people don't like him 'cause he got rich... I don't know...

But the originators like Rakim, KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, etc., were the originators of classic hip hop. Rakim, to me, can't be fucked with when it comes to the best because he was doin' the complex shit and all that before anyone... I mean, talk about doin' more for rap... ask a real MC who their favorite rapper is... I bet half the dudes mention his name.

And it's disgusting when I hear these people who say they love rap and they know a couple underground dudes and they think they know what's up, but they have no clue who Rakim is? WTF? RAKIM...

Ra isn't my favorite rapper (Immortal Technique), but when I think of "the best rapper" his name just pops into my head.

Han Solo 11-19-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Why do people act like Jay Z dont spit lyrical shit, or got some tight punchlines. People just be hatin on him for no dam reason and making stupid fuckin comments about him after listenen to 2 of his tracks.

I am a fan, i sometimes vibe off his flow in my lyrics..but i am a bigger fan of people like nas, rakim, ras kass, and the wu. Your still missing what i am saying...i think this conversation is about whether or not Jay is the GREATEST LYRICIST alive..I kinda feel like saying that is like saying Bush is the best president we've had since Jimmy Carter. Becuz Jay's focus on rap was for the business aspect, he's a hustler...so he saw a spot open in music where no one was taking it over and he did that, that's what a good hustler does they're not afraid of challenges. But if you say the "greatest alive", you HAVE to take into account his lyricism. And the truth is, he has gotten watered down over the years, he just knows how to write things that will sell, not really things that will impress hardcore listeners cuz he knows there's only so many of 'em nowadays and that's not where the money's at.

Donmega 11-20-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Witherspoon
^i second that.

But i'm not buying the shit about GZA being better than Rakim. Your are talking about two people who are masters at battling, punchlines, wordplay, and imagery. sometimes so suddle people don't catch on to it, i've been saying it for years:

...this is when wutang first showed, Gza has a verse that to ME rivals, unforgetable verses like Kane's on Marley Marl's Symphony and Redmans on Full cooperation..

"first of..who's ya' A&R?
a mountain climber, who plays..and electric guitar?
but he don't know the meaning of dope
when he's looking for a "suit and tie" rap,
that's cleaner than a bar of soap
and i'm the dirtiest thing in sight, matter fact
bring out the girls, and lets have a mud fight"

GZA is better than Nas, and Nas is handsdown one of the greatest.
Both are better than Jay, Jay was nice during Reasonable Doubt...
still, then you couldn't compare it to shit from Nas and Gza. Jay knows how to sell records, that's all...50 is doing the exact same shit and people fall for it! Does that also make 50 one of the best rappers of all time?! becuz he can entertain you! They're all crowd pleasers...those that wanna hear an artist with uniqueness and display lyricism that is vast and intelligible in writing will listen to GZA, Nas, or Rakim, and respect it. Those who don't care about extensive lyric ability but can enjoy a simple song that don't require much thought or imagination listen to 50 and Jay.

And if you think Gza is still better than Rakim, listen joints like "know the ledge", "follow the leader", and "Let the rhythm hit'em". He is and originator of sudle disses, sharply clever lines, and concept writing, before you heard some of Gza joints.

"so whenever you see me, come up freeze/
............or you'll be one of those seven emcees/"

i got rakims 18th letter/book of life & The Master

but i still think that GZA is a better lyricits

The FranchiZe 11-23-2005 03:14 PM

Quote:

i got rakims 18th letter/book of life & The Master

but i still think that GZA is a better lyricits

^And that my friends, is the beauty of an argument with no exact answer. That's an opinion I can respect since GZA is fuckin' sick.

~Kobr@~ 11-25-2005 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow
I'd rather put it on NO ONE. How the fuck can you call someone the greatest rapper alive? We've haven't listened to all there is to hear.... This is an opinion.... I've heard better than Jay-Z.....

I agree wit ya on that one.

BIGBENT73 11-26-2005 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micvickXL
In my opinion Jay is the best rapper alive. His wordplay is bananas, his freestyles, no one can fuck wit he's got the total package that u want in an MC

did you ever look at jay's lyrics, how many of them u think he took fromothers peeps songs?

loads!!!!!!!

jus 1 example.

couldnt bust a grape in a fruit fight.

he took that from an old LL song . dam my mind is blank, but im thinkin song is called steppin to a.m. but i know thats an old 3rd base song!!!!!!

H_O_V 11-28-2005 05:26 PM

^All rappers bite in some form or another, people act like Jay is the only one to do it. Shit music is recycled constantly by everyone.

Packo X 03-26-2006 01:56 PM

Hell no is jay z the greatest rapper alive.. Nas walks all over him, not to forget Fabolous, or if we're to go underground then someone like Immortal Technique would eat Hova for breakfast.

jokester 03-26-2006 11:44 PM

yeah, if its promoting, touring, record sales, the yeah, its jay, but im a canibus dude myself.

DieN 03-27-2006 06:50 AM

Well, Not Everyone Wants To Go Mainstream, Some Stay Underground Because They Love Rap/Battling, They Don't Give A Fuck About Bein' Rich Or Touring.. So With That Said, I Think There Realy Is Not/Wasn't A "Greatest Emcee"

K0NKLU510N 03-27-2006 07:17 AM

jay-z has some good linez but i'd rather listen to nas, i like nas's flow